Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Washington DC—Day 2

My second day in DC and just as cold as the first one. Back on the Metro to the Smithsonian and almost everyone is alseep.

I spent sevral hours exploring the exhibits in The Museum of American History. One of my favorite's was Julia Child's "Bon Appetite" exhibit. She was such a pioneer. She donated her kitchen to the museum where it was recontructed exactly as she had it in Cambridge Massachusetts, minus the asbestos linoleum. I stood for quite a while watching monitors of her old shows. What a great spirit!

Card # 3233—The United States Holocaust Memorial Museum where I was absolutely awed by the story that was told as I made my way through the four floors of the building. As you enter the elevator to start at the top floor you are given an identification card. My card was # 3233 belonging to Holocaust survivor Magna Hellinger telling her story. Though all the museums are spectacular this one is truly an experience that is unforgetable.

After six hours I was back on the Metro. Suddenly we stopped and were told to get off because of problems with the brakes. We all filed off and everyone drifted across the plarform and got on the orange line. I was troubled since I knew the blue line would take me to my hotel. Why was everyone getting on the orange line and where was it going? I stayed back and waited thinking I could get a cab if all else failed.

Eventually a train for the blue line showed up and I made it safely back to the hotel.

Another great day in Washington DC with my crappy sketchbook. I know better now!

16 comments:

Barbara B said...

I love your sketches and style. You're doing awfully well for grabbing a book with paper you don't like : )

Christie said...

Well, the paper may be crappy but the quality of the sketches certainly make up for it. Almost like being there, only better!

Margaret Ann said...

You people sketches are absolutely spectacular. What wonderful captures of time! :)

caseytoussaint said...

Wonderful sketches, Jennifer! I just love the way you draw.

Mari Brown and Colourblob said...

I just love your free and relaxed style to draw and paint, and the colours are as always so brilliant. the story behind these paintings are great, I enjoyed reading that very much.

sue said...

I hope you stay in DC for a while--I'm really enjoying your sketches of it all, Jennifer. I went to the Holocaust museum once, and the minute they gave me the little gray card with the profile of the person on it, I IMMEDIATELY felt as if it was "me" and I opened the card to see if "I" survived. Such a powerful tool for making us think about it all... It's such a powerful place, isn't it? SOOO moving. I went with a friend for a weekend, and our real goal was to see the last weekend of the traveling Barnes exhibit at the National galleries, but we had to see the Holocaust museum, too, and I was so glad we did.

Your DC work is amazing.

Sandra said...

Oh, to only hope that I could do such wonderful work on any quality of paper. Thanks for sharing your trip!

donna said...

All of your drawings are so well done, but the one of Magda is out of this world.

Anonymous said...

I love the sketch of Julia Child, I was a big fan. This series is making me consider a trip to the Smithsonian. Beautiful colors as always!

Sandra Busby said...

This sketches are fantastic. Lively and fresh - as they should be :0)

Suma CM said...

Sorry about the paper, but your work is wonderful as usual! It's great to see DC (I grew up near there) through your sketches. I too liked the Julia Child exhibit when I went to see it several months ago -- loved that reconstructed kitchen.

suzanne cabrera said...

So jealous...visiting the museums in Washington is one of my all-time favorite things to do. And the Julia Child exhibit...that sounds wonderful!

As usual, love your work. So bright on this dreary winter day.

Anonymous said...

Jennifer, Your sketches are wonderful. The style you do for drawing is wonderful, Im teaching myself drawing and watercolor. I was wondering if you could explain how you do your pages and your drawing techniques you use when your out. It would help alot for this self taught person. Your watercolor trees are great to and how do you use your brush to do these? Thank you so for your wonderful sketchbook pages and this blog,Happy Holidays
Linda

Anonymous said...

Great sketches. I would've been totally scared if that train scenario had happened to me. I really don't like not knowing where I'm going.

Jim Bumgarner said...

So much better than kodachromes!! Thanks for sharing these.
Merry Christmas

kitty said...

You're art is wonderful! I love your style....Have been ogling your 'sketches' on EDiM and then realized I have your blog favorited!!......