Friday, March 27, 2009

All day I just listened

Nyepi is the Balinese "Day of Silence" and when I say silent, I am not kidding. Everything is totally closed down including the international airport, Ngurah Rai—no flights in or out. There are no cars, motorbikes or people on the streets and everyone is expected to be home, quiet, lights off, TV off, no phones...virtually a day of silence. This day of silent self-reflection starts at 6 am and goes to 6 am the following day.

I got up to another hot clear Bali morning but with only the sweet sound of doves. No motorbikes? Not being able to go out to take my morning walk, I realized I was in for the day and it was only 8 am. So, I put on a sarong, fixed myself a Bali Kopi and wandered out into the garden. I started to listen to the sounds around me and I began to write down what I heard. Of course, I don't speak bird or insect so I am not sure of the spelling, but it was quite fun and a marvelous experience. Along with an occasional dog all I heard was nature. 

It was a wonderful day until it got dark and than I got busted by the local "banjar" for having my one light too bright. It seemed to be reflecting off the thatched roof overhang. So at 7:30 pm, by very low light, I was hunkered down in the bedroom reflecting upon my day and sketching this post. When I awakened today, I was a little sad that Nyepi was over. I believe the Balinese have something here with Nyepi. It is good to take a day to just sit, watch and listen without the noise and distractions of everyday life. To just be. I'm not sure I have ever done this before, but I hope to do it again.

11 comments:

Barbara said...

This is a stunning painting. How creative to have the back view, the peeking dog, the word-sounds - everything is so imaginative and well drawn.

caseytoussaint said...

What an amazing tradition - I wish we could all have that experience once in a while!
Your illustration is perfect.

winna said...

your red dress and words sketch is just great---one of my favorites and the discription was so absorbing to me. winna

Minerva said...

What an amazing experience to be witness of a country come to a quiet state for 24 hours! Thanks for sharing.

Linda T said...

Love the Bali sketches and all the interesting things you are telling us about that place.

lyn said...

Very interesting, I love the concept, nice drawing too. What were the 2 words you spoke? Ouch or ??

Margaret Ann said...

Hands down...this is so exquisitely rich and is my all time favorite post of yours... EVER!!!

Hands down...(Very quietly, hands down.) :) Chirp

bubblemunch said...

How lovely.
Today, despite the glorious weather, the beach was quite empty. We walked along to a little island of sand and sat and listened to all of the different sounds of nature - the trickling in the rockpool, the birds, the roar of the surf. Idyllic.
Great illustration

Kate (Cathy Johnson) said...

Thank you for sharing this, Jennifer, it sounds wonderful. I've gone to a couple of silent retreats in my life, and I love them...really cleans out the cobwebs!

john.p said...

You tie it all together so well - visual + thoughts. And the practice of silence for a day sounds enticing.

Leslie said...

Wow, Jennifer. I love this post! The illustration and the description are fantastic. I think I would love a day like that in a setting like that. :) Thanks so much for sharing your days in Bali.