Thursday, January 8, 2009

Selamat tinggal Bali

We are packing up and saying goodbye (selamat tinggal) to Bali. It is quite bittersweet. I am sad to leave this amazing place, but I am anxious to get home to friends, family and my dog. We will return to Bali in March when I will pick up my Bali journal where I left off. In the meantime, I will be a very cold Portland Maine city sketcher.

Yesterday was Pagerwesi day which is a Hindu celebration of an ancient battle between good and evil. The usual daily prayer offerings paled compared to what I saw to honor this holiday. Hundreds of these beautiful offerings were stacked up at temples and shrines and many lined the streets in front of businesses, homes and along the beach. Even some of the motorcycles had offerings tucked behind the license plates. I often wonder if anyone notices how many plates are expired...

8 comments:

annie said...

Wonderful, sharing this Bali trip with you, Jennifer. Your cats and dogs and roosters (and the life of the people, of course). Especially enjoying the ones full of lovely brush work that remind me of sumi-e. Have a safe trip, and looking forward to Maine paintings.
annie

Sandy said...

Your posts are always so amazing, educational, bright and bold, dreamy and Whimsical!! hope your travels are safe and timely and you land into something above 0 degrees ;-)

owenswain said...

Thanks very much for sharing what you have with us.

Bali Hotel said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Carol C said...

I'm looking forward to your return to Maine but have certainly enjoyed your enjoyment of Bali.

A Brush with Color said...

oh, you WILL be returning! I'll look forward to those continued sketches, then. I was going to be sad to have you leave Bali, too! this is wonderful!

Anonymous said...

I was in Ubud one Pagerwesi Day and in one of the hotel's car pak in the Monkey Forest Rd, they had priests with a trestle table making offerings to the cars & blessing them. Very colouful.

Laura Frankstone said...

I've been away too long!!! Your paintings and stories bring such pleasure! I'm glad you'll have time at home now and then you'll be back in Bali in March. A more perfect world it is hard to imagine!
Welcome home!