Tuesday, May 12, 2009

A night at the Kalimantan

The Kalimantan is an open air bar and restaurant across the street from our villa. Owned for almost 20 years by an expat named Bob from Denver Colorado and his wife, Ibu Bob, from Kalimantan (Borneo). They serve an eclectic menu of Indonesian, Mexican and American food. They have the best fresh juice of any kind and my favorite kopi Bali. Some days, Jerry has been known to have three squares at what we sometimes refer to as "the commissary".


Saturday night we wandered over to the Kalimatan to sit at the bar, have a glass of wine and watch CNN with Bob and the other regulars. I was drawing the pelangkirin hanging on the wall, which is a chair like alter for placing offerings to the gods. Chicaks were running back and forth across the walls as we drank wine from a box. All of the sudden there was screaming from their house in the back of the restaurant where their Dachshund, Bogie, had grabbed a cobra in his mouth as it was going to strike. Everyone else ran to see the commotion, except me because I HATE SNAKES! Bogie's head was moving so fast that he shook the cobra in half. Bob smashed the cobra's head with a shovel and Ibu swept it all up.

Just another day in Bali...

11 comments:

Caroline said...

Ha ha, Bogie the Brave- or, Foolhardy! Lucky he survived - a doggie in our street didn't when he got bitten in the ear. Love the sketches!

Sarah M said...

I love your sketches and stories of life in Bali. Keep them coming! :-)

Anonymous said...

Phew! Not many cobras around here, thank goodness! (Norwich, UK) Loving your sketches and tales of your life in Bali.

iva yaneva said...

oh my, that sounds like quite an experience! love the drawings :)

Sandy said...

Another day in "Paradise" and congrats to Bogie (I have a Bogie too)

seesue said...

Favourite blog? Yeah, I'm thinkin' so. Great sketches, absolutely delightful, unique!stories. I'm sold. Luv ya Jen

Margaret Ann said...

Amazing...a simple night out...a glass of wine...and a cobra...only YOU! Great sketch! :)

Anonymous said...

A cobra near your villa! Astaga!
I only once saw a snake in Bali. It was near Gunung Kawi and we were in a cremation procession going down to Tirta Empul & the procession did a big u-shape away from the snake. A green one. I think it was a viper.

Linda T said...

You should put these sketches and stories in a book. SO interesting. The Bogie cartoon is hilarious. Maybe they let dogs run amok b/c of the snakes...?

Thank you for sharing your Bali adventures with us.

Spinneretta said...

Hooray for Bogie! I want a Bogie!! Love your illustrated stories.

Alex said...

awesome dog! :) I killed a cobra too ^^ had no choice really, it was in my house, mom was just taking my baby nephew out of the shower and screamed so loud when she saw the poor black snake. I just picked up something nearby and hit its back as hard and as many time as possible... my weapon of choice at that time was a plastic shirt hanger XD