Thursday, May 7, 2009

My new bike

After a short bike rental from another Balinese named Made, I decided to just go for it and buy one. About 1,000,000+ rupiahs would get me a bike with gears and a basket. Two things that were a must on my accessory list. So off I went with Paskalis, our gardener, on the Piaggio scooter to the bike shop. I thought we were just going across the Bypass and I would would have a short ride home, but those bikes are "terlalu mahal"(too expensive)! So off we went for a 12 kilometer ride to some bike  shop way in the city of Denpasar. After much negotiation I am the proud owner of a black Starlite Wimcycle with gears, a basket and white side wall tires. The ride home consisted of me riding like hell through crazy inner city traffic with Paskalis riding along side of me on the Piaggio giving me directions back to Sanur. I had a blast! Even wore my pink scooter helmet for extra safety, and yes, the girl at the bike shop giggled as I put it on. So now I enjoy riding my bike around Sanur (without a helmet), but always HATI-HATI!

3 comments:

Maree said...

Certainly sounds like you have a great time, Jennifer! Makes me wanna go out and buy a bike and hit the road with my sketchpad securely tucked in the basket...

Rgards

laura said...

I've been dying to get on my bike (which needs a rack--but I don't know how to put it on!), but it's been raining here for two weeks straight. This summer may be the year I follow through on my yearly resolution to ride to the bay each evening and paint the sunset.
Nice sketch!

owenswain said...

Many happy hours of biking to you. I love biking, love, love, love biking. And, happy drawing as well.