Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Chasing the Giant Trevally

Jerry has just left with a friend on a guided "catch and release" fishing trip for Giant Trevally. They will fish off a beach in Sumbawa, which is two islands west of Bali in the Indonesian archipelago. To get there they will take a short flight to Lombok, a ferry to Sumbawa and then a five hour 4 X 4 ride on dirt roads to a remote beach where they will have to walk over rocky coral in hard-sole diving boots to get to where they will surf cast for these huge fighting fish. Bug spray and SPF 50 sun block are a must and then there is sleeping in the jungle. Clearly not my kind of holiday!

So I am here in beautiful Bali, where today, at 5 AM I was awakened by the loud grinding sound of the fogging trucks, roaring up and down the streets of Sanur spraying some ungodly chemical into the air to kill mosquitos. I grabbed the cat and hide under the covers to wait for the blue-gray fog to dissipate. The first time I experienced this, I was so freaked out that I couldn't stop talking about it that morning at the Kalimantan. They all looked at me and with such concern Muni said "Ya, bagus, it kills mosquito so no Dengue fever"—DENGUE FEVER!?! And then a giant 2" cockroach scampered across the floor...

12 comments:

Peachtreeart said...

Love the earth colors!

Anonymous said...

Great paintings - and such imaginative depictions. Love thes fish.

Kate (Cathy Johnson) said...

Oh, lord! I remember when they used to do that here, big old clouds of stinky chemicals...

I think almost NOTHING kills cockroaches, though...<;-)

Meanwhile, I love your fish...

Terry Banderas said...

Your work is fabulous. Love the fish with the washes.

Caroline said...

Hmmm, just don't breathe for 4 hours!! Just paint!!

laura said...

These fish shapes are great--I love how you "filled" each one differently.
Those mosquito-spray trucks used to come around when I was a kid and we lived in the suburbs for a few years: we'd run after it, hiding in the "fog." ... But I'm still here!

Tom@PFD said...

I really love these collage fish. It gives me something to thing about having more structure/patterm - thanks

Margaret Ann said...

OOOOOH MY! The two of you are having the time of your lives...what a adventurous journey you are on!

Your fish rock BTW...:)

A Brush with Color said...

OMG, I so enjoy your stories about your adventures, Jennifer. Lovely fish!

Sandy said...

Toto, we are not in Kansas anymore ;-)

Lydia Velarde said...

FANTASTIC painting!
I like the story too LOL

Unknown said...

DearMs. Lawson,
who were your friends fishing with? I live in Bali and would love to charter a trip..thanks very much
I have sailed and fished in Maine and during the past 10 years Chile.

Steve Croll
Pettitinget
shcroll at Gmail.com