Thursday, May 21, 2009

It's a blast

I saw a beach shack with a sign that said paddletrainer.com, so I stopped in to see what it was all about. It sounded like great fun and a great workout. So, yesterday, I rode my bike to the beach and slapped down my 200,000 rupiah for an hour lesson to learn Stand Up Paddle Surfing. 
I was pretty good at standing and paddling on the flat water and even as we went further out into the waves I could maneuver over the swells and remain standing. I am fairly strong, have good balance and I have skied, kayaked, windsurfed and even board surfed as a kid (but that was a million years ago). However, I had a much harder time getting a handle on looking over my shoulder for waves, paddling to catch the wave, crouching and continuing to paddle hard with the wave and then jumping into surf stance. I only caught two waves so surf stance was really not an issue. Oh well, it was only my first time and I'm going back tomorrow.

6 comments:

laura said...

I need to get some "crappy" paper! This palm really captures the breeze--it's perfectly lovely (and breaks my heart after my stilted attempts!).

A Brush with Color said...

Good for you learning to paddle surf. I love your paintings--and I agree with Laura--great palm tree. They look so easy and are deceptively difficult to capture, I think.

Lydia Velarde said...

this is great
I like the jUICY watercolors you have been doing!

Margaret Ann said...

Only you! You never cease to amaze me! LOL! :)

Timaree said...

I enjoyed your painting. I don't know what the difference is between this surfing and regular surfing which is what my son does. He says you do lots of paddling and you have to get really strong to make any real headway in stronger surf. Really good exercise while being fun at the same time.

Lynn said...

That really does sound like fun! I love this little painting - it's fresh and breezy, and the water is simply beautiful.