Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Woven Voices~Messages from the Heart


My good friend Sarah Haskell is an artist who specializes in weaving. One of her recent projects is Woven Voices~ Messages from the heart. It is an interactive global art project inspired by Tibetan prayer flags, Shinto paper prayers and the Buddhist concept of impermanence.

People send positive messages of hope and renewal, dreams, wishes or prayers written on paper or cloth. These messages will be read aloud in a public place and then woven into brightly colored prayer flags. the flags are then sent back to those who sent messages. The hand woven flags will hang outside in communities around the world to fade, unravel and release the message of hope, peace and renewal.

She gave me three flags to bring to Bali. They are now hanging from a Frangipani tree here in Sanur.

It's pretty cool! Check it out.

7 comments:

Carol Bonomo said...

Lovely prayer flag work and thank you for the context as well. (And welcome, glad for your safe if draining flight).

sue said...

Wonderful idea and I love your interpretation of it here!

Sarah D. Haskell said...

Jen: Just thought I'd see how you are fairing over there...and wow...there is your lovely painting of the prayer flag..so sweet...I love it.

I'd love to put this image on the blog (with your permission). Life back in ME trundles along. I finally got the major cold-bug. Rather sniffly now. Love, S

Margaret Ann said...

OOOOH MY! This is super! What a treat to be able to have these...Love everything about this! :)

Susan Hosken said...

Love your blog. All the different art. The minute I saw this post about prayer flags i raced out and put prayers on a hanging I have outside. I will embellish more later. Thanks for sharing.
lots of love from susan in australia

ejmordasky said...

am I right in sending ribbon messages to you Sarah? I feel I must do this if it is permissable...winna

winnajill@cox.net

BARBARA WEEKS said...

I love the concept of Tibetan prayer flags. This project is phenomenal!