Thursday, November 12, 2009

Our villa entrance

Bali is filled with statues from very small to quite large and imposing. Many are wrapped with a black and white checked "Poleng cloth" which signifies mutual dualism that makes up the world. Two opposite things that depend on each other to exist, such as day and night, dry and rainy seasons, bitter and sweet and black and white. The Balinese believe that the balance of this mutual dualism will bring prosperity and peacefulness to mankind.

I love this stone statue that greets me whenever I enter our villa. I think it might be Buddha, but I am not sure. I always give it a friendly pat with my hand as I walk by.

10 comments:

sue said...

I love picturing you doing that, Jennifer. It's always interesting to hear all about Bali, so bring it on!! Lovely.

Anonymous said...

Hope you are now recovered from that long flight. Your buddha is beautiful. I have a similar buddha head in the house, tho' much smaller. I am drawn to touch it each time I pass and loved it that you do the same thing! I think it is because it is such a peaceful face.

heather noye said...

I love your Buddha drawing. (yes, I'd say that's definitely a Buddha. The elongated earlobs signify an enlightened being).

And I'm loving hearing about your travels!!! I just can't wait for the next one. :)

Carol Bonomo said...

This is gorgeous. I love how the shadows you've painted enhance the mood of reflection and reflected upon.

Ellen Burkett said...

Absolutely beautiful! Great work!

Sherry Pierce Thurner said...

As always, your posts expand my world.

Christie said...

Your villa must be a very serene place, indeed. (But then, so is all of Bali, or so I've heard.) Love your entrance sketch.

Dan Kent said...

Your EDM post seemed so agitated. So I was shocked to find such a calm (and calming) picture. Very nicely done!

Margaret Ann said...

Okay...for sure...THIS...is now my new all time fave of yours!!!! I love what is painted and what you have said...Ahhhh! :)
I am so glad you are back at your art! :)

Cheryl said...

I LOVE this piece....you've captured the serenity on his face perfectly!
Well done!