Monday, November 16, 2009

Life drawing class

I have a style and it is fairly illustrative. It's just who I am. However, in today's life drawing class we had assignments which took me out of my comfort zone and away from my old friends pen and ink.

This one I had to create the form with shading and to try not use too many lines. Damn, look at all those lines.

For this assignment we had to first use chalk to establish the negative areas and then add lines and shading with charcoal. I made the biggest mess! Blue chalk and charcoal everywhere and then look at that pitiful drawing...

I'm back home now with my friends pen and ink.

3 comments:

Deborah said...

Hi Jennifer. I'm curious about your comment that your style is illustrative; I wonder what it means to be an illustrative artist. Isn't all painting, drawing illustrative? The term isn't new to me, but I am unclear about where the line is drawn (so to speak) between illustration and... well, everything else there is! On another note, I've followed your blog posts regularly and enjoy them. I live in Westchester County, NY and have relatives and friends in Maine, including in Portland, and I've cruised Penobscot Bay several times, so your drawings are delightful not only in and of themselves but because they have some resonance of my own experiences. My dog, however, probably is 10 times the size of Sophie. Where does she go, by the way, when you go to Asia? Deborah Silver

susans said...

jennifer, your drawing looks to me like a picasso drawing early years. sues

sue said...

These are cool! I think they're wonderful.