Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Manggis and the mangostine

We stayed at a lovely tranquil resort in the town of Manggis which is named after the mangostine. In the center of town there is a huge carved stone statue with a mangostine at the top and, of course, a black and white poleng cloth wrapped around the base. Probably the largest mangostine in the world. Along with all the lovely locally grown gourmet food, we enjoyed tasting a mangostine one morning. What a wonderful weekend. I didn't want to leave, but we had to get back. So, after a ninety minute hair-raising drive back to Sanur, the tranquility was gone, but the memories remain.

11 comments:

Monette Satterfield said...

Just caught up with your Bali posts. What lovely colors and your sketches capture the mood and life so well. It sounds lovely!

Lisa Adams Reed said...

You are really making me want to go to Bali. Your sketches/posts are a wonderful cultural education.

Ackart said...

I am loving your journal. I feel I am in Bali with you. Keep Painting!! I love all the bright colors!

picklesandroses.blogspot.com said...

Jennifer, I have just discovered your blog and love it. I spent only 3 weeks in Bali and certainly wasn't enough. Beautiful place and people and your sketches are awesome.

R K said...

The 'place' where you 'are' is definitely affecting your paintings...very interesting to see the effect of geography on your work.

Lydia Velarde said...

I am enjoying your posts! Thanks for sharing ! Lydia

Margaret Ann said...

The beauty of Bali is reflected in the change of your color palette...so exciting and exotic!

Angie said...

Beautiful colours - lovely work! You are bringing Bali to life in your sketches!

Felicity Grace said...

I'm so enjoying these beautiful sketches and what an amazing place to be for an artist!

Ann said...

Luscious sketches! Your journaling of your travels is such a treat for the eyes.

A Brush with Color said...

Boy--Bali is really boding well for your creative psyche--these are all fabulous!! I love this one.