Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Bali art prototypes

Over the next five years we will be spending more time in Bali than here in Maine while Jerry implements his sustainable seafood project for Indonesia. I am leaving in January and won't return until July—my longest time away from home and my dog. I am starting to put together ideas for my art while in Bali.

Creating a watercolor background that resembles batik fabric.

I am trying acrylics for the first time. I am used to oils and the acrylics dry so quickly that it is taking me time to figure out how to blend and manipulate the paint before it dries. On the other hand, that quick dry time has it's merits.

Faces and masks on rocks using acrylics and varnish.

Acrylic on canvas board. Matte varnished applied after paint dried.

Acrylic and mixed media using local papers and batik fabric. Varnished when dry to seal.

Bali dogs possibly supporting the Bali Street Dog organization. Acrylic on 5"x5" stretched canvas. 1 1/2" border painted black. SOLD

9 comments:

Shirley said...

Love the batik background and the faces on rocks!! I hope that sometime while you are there, you'll put together a collection of your Bali paintings. I've really enjoyed following them during your visits.

jgr said...

Jennifer, these are all great! I especially like batik so that might be my fave . . . or the collage paper & fabric.

Cathy Holtom said...

They are good, but the first one is my favourite, great background.

Janene said...

Jennifer, These are wonderful. It is so fun to watch your development as an artist. The batik background is very inspiring.

Sandra said...

Gee, you opened yourself to so many different ideas. All are wonderful, but I really like the elephant.

sue said...

Jennifer, you're really doing all sorts of good things here. I love all your latest stuff, but then I'm always a fan of anything you do. Keep it up! Love the elephant.

Dan Kent said...

Wow - what a variety!! All wonderful - I am so impressed with all of them. I was trying to pick a favorite to tell you, but the truth is I expect it would depend on my mood that day because each one does something for me. I am greatly impressed with the watercolor batik background (have to try that), love the brush work in the rooster, and love the dog (reminds me of Alice Neel). And the rocks - especially the woman, love your use of blue. And, btw (in case this isn't long enough), I've been playing with acrylic recently myself and have had the same problem with drying.

lyn said...

The rooster is alive with your paint strokes! Beautiful!

Margaret Ann said...

Fabulous joyous pieces! I love that your Muse is dancing to so many wonderful and different rhythms these days...may your artistic soul continue to sparkle!