Thursday, July 19, 2012

Urban Sketchers Symposium—part III

Nina Johansson's workshop "Challenge Through Limitations" forced us out of our comfort zones by trying different techniques and using tools we may not normally use. 


Getting over the fear of the white page. Taking some white paper we had to rub it against the ground, paint watercolors on a pattern such as a manhole cover then press the paper to ceate an impression, splash paint or scribble with pencil. Anything to rough up the paper so we were not faced with pristene white paper. We then had to trade with some one and use a tool we wouldn't normaly use to sketch. The above was a portion of the ruins of oldest hospital in the Americas done with a bamboo pen and ink on a piece of paper that Jorge created and traded with me.

 Direct watercolor sketch using no pencil or pen lines.


Sketched with jumbo multi-color swirl colored pencil.

6 comments:

donnamcm said...

It would appear that you had a fantastic experience! I just pulled out my multi-colored pencil and stuck in my bag. I had bought this some time ago and never had used it. Might be perfect for a parade!!!

Kate (Cathy Johnson) said...

What fun! Looks like Nina's a wonderful teacher, too...

Margaret Ann said...

You really have some lovely sketches here Jen...love the way your pen creates a story with creative dancing lines. I also love the postage date stamps...I can tell you had a great time! :)

Melliott said...

I'm so jealous you got to have a class with Nina! She's such a fabulous artist--as are you! I follow both of your blogs with great anticipation. Looks like you learned some new stuff and had a great time, despite the unfortunate injury.

Joan said...

love the sketches...each is unique and quite lovely. I'm curious about the postal date stamps...how did you do this? Mail them to yourself? Have a stamp made? This is perfect for travel journals.

family vacation packages waikiki said...

I simply love your sketches, They're so fascinating. I adore every sketch you make. Awesome!