Monday, March 19, 2012

California family visit

My dear old dad hasn't been very well lately, so off I went to California to help my family get him back on his feet.
My parenst have been married for 60 years and have live in the same house for 56 years. A California ranch house built in 1956 in the scruffy hills near Palo Alto in the San Francisco Bay Area. I often marvel how we all fit in that house, but two adults and three kids is far different than five adults. Not to mention all the strong personalities.
It was teamwork as my mom, my sister, my brother and I shared in making my dad comfortable as he recooperated.

A drawing I did of my mom at Christmas—a much happier time.

A quick sketch when I went outside one night to see the moon rising next to one of the redwood trees in my parents yard.

The good news is my dad is doing much better.

The amazing Cathy Johnson was kind enough to interview me for her blog The Artist Journal Workshop. If you have a chance here is the link to my interview and the interviews and work of so many other talented artists:

7 comments:

Kate (Cathy Johnson) said...

I hope your dad is doing better now, Jennifer! LOVE the sketches...

Sandy in Michigan said...

I'm so glad to hear that your Dad is doing better. Parents can be worrisome! I always love to see your portrait sketches. You have such a creative sense of color.

BARBARA WEEKS said...

Glad your dad is doing better! Great sketches and interview!

Claire M said...

I hope for your Dad's continued recovery and happy times for your family. Priceless family sketches that you've captured.

Margaret Ann said...

The love of family is the best medicine ever. I send you warm thoughts and lots of love.

I totally agree...Your sketches are indeed priceless.

Jane said...

Great for your parents that you were all able to be together - what a blessing. Your pictures have such life, I love them!

A Brush with Color said...

Oh, Jennifer, so sorry to hear that your dad hasn't been doing well. Thinking of you and all your family--your paintings here are wonderful. I'll have to dash over and see Kate's interview.